I am soooooo close to finishing the whole kids bedroom set…..but still not quiet there…YET.
I spent quiet some time searching for the right piece of bookcase….and…TADAAAA!!! I got it for $49. Its oak. I knew exactly what I would do with it. So I grabbed it and headed straight home.
First I gave it a good wash, because I didn’t like the smell. I don’t know why, but I felt this very old smell….So I washed it with some soap. When it got dry and smell free – I took off all the unnecessary pieces aka doors and old hardware.
Since the middle shelf had the door attached to it – the shelf had this weird construction…that I had to disassemble in order to make that shelf straight. The process took some time, due to a weirdly shaped screws. I tried all hardware stores around me – none of them had the screwdriver for that. So I had to ask my husband for some help. He just ripped them off. Which added a little more job for me….since I had to cover the “damage”. And sand it…and cover again…and sand again…you get the picture. But hey, I DID IT! And I am proud of myself! 🙂
As always I covered all the wholes and damaged wood with wood filler.
In order to paint it nicely I had to take off the back of the bookcase. So I did. I gave it a good wipe as well.
By the way, this beautiful piece of furniture was also made in Canada by “Kroehler” company. Made me sooo happy and proud. Again 🙂
After some sanding and cleaning I primed the bookcase, back piece and the drawer. Sanded it again, primed it…sanded it again and primed it.
The back part is drying after some priming was done to it 🙂
Just as the drawer. Inside out.
Now they were ALL ready for the most exciting part – painting!
Here is the end result. It fits perffffectly to the interior….style and color – wise. My daughter is very happy. She has so much space for all her books now 🙂 And me? Oh….well you can guess 🙂
I put the same style knobs as her other furniture that I previously redone for her. Except for the size. These ones are bigger. But since the drawer itself and the bookcase are big and tall – these knobs look just right.
As you noticed, this time I didn’t paint inside of the drawer in the usual mint color. Instead I painted the back of the bookcase in this same mint color. I thought that painting the back and the drawer would be just too much. 🙂
There was a hole on the back…probably it was meant to be for some kind of light or electronics… I am planning to put some light strips under the shelves. So this hole will serve its purpose 🙂
Overall I am very happy with the results. With every finished piece of furniture my daughter’s room looks more and more complete. We are getting there! 🙂
I hope you enjoyed it. As always you are welcome to ask me anything if you have any lingering questions 🙂
Don’t forget to join our great and helpful, full of ideas DIY group: Brilliant Do-It-Yourselfer Canada. And no, you do not have to live in Canada! 🙂 Just join in, share some great ideas and get inspired!